1. NEVER click on a link (URL) received from an unknown sender ( SMS, email, etc.)
2. ALWAYS install your home INTERNET devices on a different network segment (SSID, VLAN).
3. NEVER give guest WiFi access to your private home network: use a separate GUEST WiFi unsecure network segment.
4. ALWAYS use VPN back home (or VPN provider) when connected to « free» WiFi.
5. NEVER connect an untrusted USB key to your computer. NEVER power charge your mobile device from a cable without seeing what’s at the other end (power outlet).
6. ALWAYS use an Antivirus (generic name for software localy installed on your device that is supposed to protect it at multiple levels).
7. NEVER use your credit card on e-commerce sites uness you did your due diligence and have checked they are legit businesses!
8. ALWAYS use content filtering and phishing blocking via DNS resolution (just google OpenDNS and make yourself a free account if you don’t have money to buy a Cisco Umbrella license).
9. NEVER use the same password to consume different services. Make sure you change your passwords periodically.
10. ALWAYS turn off the WiFi and bluetooth when not needed.
11. NEVER allow INBOUND connectivity from INTERNET to your home network. If you do, please see point 12.
12. ALWAYS configure logging on your INTERNET router/firewall. If you are lazy not to check the logs periodically, at least you’ll have an idea of how your network has been compromised…. The logs will be helpful in supporting your case opening with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre
13. ALWAYS filter OUTBOUND INTERNET traffic at home. In case your network has been compromised, at least you’ll not serve as a base for further hacker attacks…
14. ALWAYS patch, install updates for the operating systems and applications used on ALL your devices ( including the « SMART » IoT ones).
There is no particular importance for any of the steps above. The list is far from being complete. There is no guarantee that following these steps will protect you from all the attacks, but at least will make the hackers lives more difficult. As result, they may go to some other place that misses even these basic guidelines.